Monday, October 10, 2011

Missing in Action

Sometimes in this life, things just don't go your way. Not only do things not go your way, but they seem to be stuck in a vortex of negative energy.  In times like these, sometimes the best plan seems to be to get away, turn off the computers, blackberries, iPhones, etc. and just be.

I spent the extended Columbus Day weekend with my other-half Mr. Lincoln hiking a section of the Appalachian Trail outside of Roanoke, VA.  And while on this trip the powers that be seemed to still be against us, it was nice to isolate the background noise as much as possible.

Its nice to put everything you'll need for a few days into a pack on your back, and walk hand in hand with the one you love into the woods together.  Its good to find someone who is by your side when you've hiked 27 miles and haven't showered in 3 days the going gets tough.  While my weekend was not as relaxing as I had planned, being  without all the extraneous things helps me remember who I am at my very core, and why it is I do what I do.
Despite misread trail maps, additional miles, animal encounters, water shortages, and being recorded as "missing persons" by the Virginia State Police, I returned feeling more grounded and ready to get back to the hustle and bustle of daily life.  Realizing that you can be out of service for a few days puts into perspective that they're all just modern conveniences rather than necessities.

No comments:

Post a Comment