Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pumpkin Blondies

When you find yourself in the midst of a hurricane, surrounded by a flood of Facebook posts about delicious treats, it eventually becomes inevitable that the flour, butter, and chocolate will come out, and the mixer will be put to use.  There may also have been videochatting with my cat and my coworker (and her cat); as it turns out, the kitties were not so impressed.

My hurricane buddy

Unfortunately, my last minute trip to the store for my weekly shopping trip coincided with many people's trip to stock up for hurricane supplies, and my grocery store was entirely out of eggs!   (They were also out of bananas - is this how DC preps?)

So when the inevitable happened, and I found myself searching through the pantry for something sweet to bake, it was the eggless caveat in mind.  I don't mind substituting for one egg in a pinch, but beyond that you can't gamble too fast and loose wtih baking.

I stumbled upon a blondie recipe at Smitten Kitchen - and with only one egg I figured I could make it work.  I subbed about 1/3 cup canned pumpkin for the egg and also added 1/4 tsp baking powder and 1/8 tsp pumpkin pie spice.  With some chopped almonds and chocolate chips, these were definitely what the doctor ordered!

Pumpkin Blondie with Almonds and Chocolate Chips



No comments:

Post a Comment